5 Frequent Bad Dental Habits Spoiling Your Smile
You may brush, floss, and go to the dentist, so you think your dental care is good. But bad dental habits can quickly develop and you may not even realize it. If you have the following harmful habits, learn how to cure bad dental habits before they do damage.
- Bad Brushing: Brushing your teeth regularly is essential for good dental care, but too many people brush their teeth too aggressively. This can erode the tooth enamel, cause sensitivity, make gums recede, and lead to cavities. When it comes to how to cure bad dental habits like brushing too hard, start by using a soft-bristled toothbrush and then brush with a gentle motion.
- Troublesome Teeth Grinding and Jaw Clenching: Those who have these bad dental habits may have bruxism, a common dental condition. Unfortunately, tooth grinding puts pressure on teeth that can cause them to chip, fracture, and erode. Repeated jaw clenching can lead to severe problems, such as facial soreness, headaches, and earaches. Wondering how to cure bad dental habits? Ask your dentist about wearing a mouth guard at night or talk to a psychologist to learn techniques to reduce stress.
- Gnawing on Nails: Biting your nails can lead to far more than unattractive hands. This habit can actually cause your teeth to chip, crack, fracture and shift while eroding the delicate tooth enamel. This is one of those bad dental habits that you may do without even thinking, so try to find other things to keep your hands busy and stop yourself when the biting begins.
- Ice Crunching: Chewing ice is terrible for your teeth because the hardness and coldness of ice cubes can cause teeth to chip and fracture, as well as eroding tooth enamel. Cool it with the ice-cube crunching to protect your precious teeth.
- Using Teeth for Tasks: Have you ever used your teeth to hold paperclips, open packages or even pop open a bottle cap? Your teeth are not tools and should not be used as if they are. These bad dental habits can cause teeth to crack, chip, fracture, and even break. Instead of using your teeth, keep tools handy to handle your daily tasks.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Springfield, call Gentle Dental of Springfield today at (484) 810-1247 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Springfield. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Springfield, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Springfield.