Think Fast! What to Do If You Chip Your Tooth
Chipped teeth are common, and most are not serious. However, if damage extends beyond your tooth’s enamel, there is a risk of infection and tooth loss. If you break your tooth and you have the pieces, take them with you to the dental appointment. It may be possible to repair the chipped tooth. Having an affordable dentist evaluate and treat your tooth is essential, but you can also do things at home to reduce your risk of complications and relieve pain.
Here is more information to help you deal with a chipped tooth at home, before you see the dentist.
- Rinse your mouth with warm, salt water to relieve pain and help to prevent infection.
- To stop bleeding, apply pressure with clean gauze.
- Place an ice pack on your face where the chipped tooth is to reduce swelling.
- Use temporary dental cement on the chipped tooth if you can’t see your dentist immediately.
- Put sugarless gum or dental wax over sharp areas to protect your tongue and cheeks.
- Take an over-the-counter pain medication, if needed.
- Consume only liquids and soft foods.
How Your Dentist Can Repair Chipped Teeth
- Small, superficial chips can be polished to smooth out jagged edges.
- Fillings can repair chipped molars.
- Bonding may be a better solution for front teeth.
- Extensive damage may require a crown or cap to prevent further harm.
- Porcelain veneers may be your preferred treatment if you have an affordable dentist. Dental insurance does not cover the cost of veneers because they are cosmetic.
- If an injury causes extensive damage to the tooth’s pulp, a root canal may be required to clean out the inside of the tooth and seal the area.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Springfield, call Gentle Dental of Springfield today at (484) 810-1247 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Springfield. With 14 affiliated practices in the Greater Philadelphia area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Springfield, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Springfield.